Last week on Tuesday night in the Community and Arts Centre, Secretary of the Westies, Brian Stewart, delivered what will have been the last annual report of that organisation - In November the West CC and Suburban will merge to form a new organisation. Brian's report is a comprehensive document that will be of interest to many Gurnites and is well worth the trouble of taking the time to read a few headlines etc below but the full document is available here.
The headlines are
· Success at the Nairn South Planning Appeal
· Some progress on regeneration plans for the Town Centre
· Cautious optimism on the prospects for the Bypass
· Much still to be done on changing the approach to development planning
· Agreement on West/Suburban CC merger proposal
· Local discontent over management of amenities and services
· Serious challenges ahead as budget cutbacks affect public services
And the Key issues for the coming year are likely to include:
· A possible further round of debate on the prospects for development of Nairn South;
· Related discussion about the medium and long-term future of the Sandown Land;
· Further discussion of other development sites proposed in the IMFLDP;
· The impact of the Bypass – assuming the Transport Scotland scheme makes progress;
· Further scrutiny of the management of Nairn ‘s Common Good;
· The management and implementation of forthcoming – and severe – budget cuts;
· The effectiveness of new community empowerment arrangements (eg new Area Committee)
...... and of course the usual hardy perennials of seagulls, dog-poo, A96 traffic congestion, etc!
Read the full report here. Quite a lot of stuff was also discussed at the Subbies and Westies regular meetings on Tuesday night - we hope to look at some of that over the next day or two.