“The school’s head janitor was contacted immediately and confirmed the presence of asbestos material in the Artex in this part of the school. By 8.15am this area of the school was sealed off.”
Cawdor shopkeeper John Macintosh, 58, who has a son and daughter at the academy, said he knew of the presence of asbestos at the school but it was not previously deemed hazardous because of a house rule that drawing pins were not used on classroom walls.
He said: “I think this is quite a serious matter. I’m looking for some reassurance that there’s a nil likelihood of any harm to my children’s health. A ‘low’ level is not sufficient. The school should be closed until such time as we get some assurances that there is nothing harmful there for the children.
“This seems to be a serious incident.”
The P& J have also spoken to the Provost. For the entire article go to the Press and Journal site.
UPDATE: The Gurn has been given the following web site address: 'Asbestos in Schools' The site states:'The aim of this site is to inform parents, teachers and ancillary staff about asbestos in schools. It gives guidance on how to improve the management of asbestos in schools. It aims to encourages openness in the UK Government's policy towards asbestos in schools'
The site contains information on management of asbestos, suggested improvements to policy, guidance and a database of media articles plus papers on asbestos to download.
UPDATE: The Inverness Courier speaks to Councillor Graham Marsden:
"In my view it was a sensible thing to do because the last thing we can do is put children at harm," he said. "As far as I'm concerned this adds weight to the argument that really what we need is a new academy." More on the Courier site.